Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog ate rat poison, 2 ggramns of trounce all weather bait,

Customer Question

dog ate rat poison
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: 2 ggramns of trounce all weather bait
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago?

Can you tell me if the label says this is made with Bromethalin? What %?

How much does your dog weigh?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 days ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you and since this is a very time sensitive situation, I want to leave my thoughts for your return. Now the problem with Bromethalin is that it is not an anticoagulant based poison. This means that there is not antidote for this toxin. Instead, treatment is even more based on quick action to prevent absorption of this drug. This means we need to act fast if he has just had this.

In regards ***** ***** to do here, we need to induce vomiting immediately. To induce vomiting at home, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster -- just we want to give it orally and just get it into him. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get him to walk about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing his ER vet so that the vet can administer apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) to just get this out of his stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

Afterwards, you will want to follow this by administering activated charcoal from the pharmacy to bind any remaining material in his stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 4 grams per pound is given every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much he absorbs and reduce the intoxication risk here.

If you struggle to any of the above or cannot obtain activated charcoal or peroxide quickly or if its been over 30 minutes already, then we'd not want to delay in getting your wee one to their vet. They will have these treatments on hand to prevent absorption and be able to treat with IV fluids to flush this out and medications to prevent toxin associated brain swelling.

Overall, we have a serious situation with this kind of intoxication. Therefore, the key here is to act quick and induce vomiting to get this out of his system. Afterwards we need to block any residual drug absorption with activated charcoal to bind anything still in his system. And if you have any issue or delay, then we'd want to get the local ER vet involved since there is no antidote for these baits unlike the others.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you and hope to see you again soon! : )