Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have shih tzu and she is 15 years old and her back end

Customer Question

I have shih tzu and she is 15 years old and her back end went limp
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Shae has had arthritis in the back before
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey
JA: How old is Bailey?
Customer: 15
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: no
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 15 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long have they been limp?

Does she have any feeling or any movement in her back end?

Are those back legs colder then her front ones?

Is she on any treatment just now?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
just yesterday at noon. She eats drinks and pees fine and look fine no sign of pain, No she has just a little movement in the back legs. She had this problem a couple of time in her life and needed anti inflames to help
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She is healthy and on medications
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 15 days ago.

Thank you,

First, I am very glad to hear that Bailey has some movement in those legs. If she hadn't, we'd have been worried about an emergency spinal issue (ie disc rupture, tumor, abscess, or clot compressing the spine, etc). That said, her signs do raise worries of some spinal involvement (inflammation) if both legs are struggling. Alternatively, at her age we can see this secondary to arthritis and we can see it come on quite quickly and dramatically as we have here when they have secondary muscle strains/sprains.

In this situation, with how collapsed she sounds, we would want her vet to see her as soon as possible for a full examination and also to check her spinal function. Anti-inflammatories from them would be ideal, possibly even steroids if they think the spine is inflamed. And because we have severe signs and those would be our point of call, we'd want to avoid any home OTC non-steroidal options. Most are dog toxic but if we were to use a mild one like Aspirin we'd block the vet being able to use those stronger options.

Therefore, if there is any delay in having her seen, you can warm compress the back end end and over the hips/spine to try to reduce any muscle involvement here. OTC joint supports (ie Glucosamine, Chondroitin, Omega 3 fish oil, Duralactin) could be started, though those would be better for long term treatment. And again we'd want her vet to dispense those dog safe anti-inflammatories to give us the best chance of settling this quickly for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )