Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our Cavalier Spaniel is 8. she is on 3 medications for

Customer Question

Our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel is 8. she is on 3 medications for congestive heart failure. Vetmedin, Benazepril, Furosemide. We want to take her off of these. She was much healthier before the prescription. What is the down side? is there maybe one of them we should continue to give her?
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 12 days ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has she been on these medications for? Did she have an heart ultrasound performed before being placed on these medications?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
2 months on medication. yes ultrasound was done "enlarged heart"
We moved and imply brought her in for a random physical when she was diagnosed. She was and seemed very healthy before the diagnoses and since the medication she has been not so good. coughing, laziness,

Okay thanks for the additional information. So she wasn't coughing at all or showing any signs of respiratory issues? Did they do chest x-rays as well? Was the ultrasound done by a veterinary cardiologist? Depending on what they found on the ultrasound as far as how enlarged the heart was and if the heart was having any problems with beating that could determine if any of her medication could be adjusted. Since you mention that she was not coughing at all she may be able to come off of the Furesomide unless your veterinarian noted any fluid in lungs. The Vetmedin would be needed if the ultrasound demonstrated that her heart was not contracting properly before the meds.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We moved from Minnesota to California and we drove 2000 miles with her in the car. when we got here she seemed to have a cough and sneezing. prior to the drive she was fine. a few weeks after we moved is when we brought her in for a physical thinking she had an allergy from climate changes etc. she does still have a cough once in a while. yes, ultrasound was done by a cardiologist. can we try to stop everything for a while and see how she does? is there a downside to try this?

Yes if you discontinue the medications she can get even worse. At best you may just want to ask the cardiologist if you can make some adjustments to the dose either decreasing the frequency or the dose itself and see if there are any side effects from doing that. Then maybe have labwork performed just to make sure none of the medications are not infecting any of the organs.