Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

I have a 5 year old lab, she's in labor now, at 125pm she

Customer Question

Hi I have a 5 year old lab, she's in labor now, at 125pm she delivered one pup its 621pm now and nothing yet acctto the X rays she's due for 3 pups she doesn't look in distress she's actually calm and sleeping at time she start breathing rapidly and hard but then she stops. How far a part can puppies be and is this normal ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Summer
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Summer?
Customer: No
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 16 days ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is this her first litter? Are you noticing any discharge from her vulva?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
this is her first litter and no discharge for now only when the first puppy was coming she did have some discharge

Okay thanks for the additional information. How is the first puppy doing? Usually you want the puppies to be delivered no longer than 4 hours apart. It seems like it has been about 5 hours by now. I would say if she hasn't delivered another puppy within the hour you may want to have her check out just to make sure the puppies are viable and she is not having any other issues

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Puppy has been nonstop whining. We is in an basket like next to mom. We put a heating pad to keep him warm and calms his whining.
Mom does not seem in distress but we are beginning to feel worry like you said it's been 5 hours.

There have been occasions where I have seen puppies been delivered farther apart but most are delivered between a 2-4 hour period. I usually recommend having an ultrasound performed to see if the puppies are still viable and if they are then she may just need some help delivering them. Usually that involves giving a medication called oxytocin which can help stimulate birth

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
More fluid with blood just came out could that be that she having another puppy ?

Is she trying to have abdominal contractions at the time?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No she seems to be bonding w her baby puppy she's just Laying there. What the other alternative to c section ?

The other alternative is for them to give oxytocin to see if they can stimulate a contraction to help her birth the other puppies

But they would want to make sure the puppies were viable first

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Should I leave her w her baby or put him away she's rough with the puppy at times

I would try to leave her with her puppy as needs the milk as long as you can otherwise you have to bottle feed the puppy if you feel it's in danger