Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dog eats like a horse but will gain some weight and then

Customer Question

Dog eats like a horse but will gain some weight and then lose it. Indoor dog. American Bulldog.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the bulldog's name and age?
Customer: Memphis and going on seven next year
JA: How old is Memphis?
Customer: 6
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Memphis?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 18 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Memphis. Is he a pretty active dog? When was he last seen by your vet? Is he urinating more? What do his stools look like?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
active yes. Stool is solid to semi solid. Urinating more and wants to drink all the time. Urine is clear.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 18 days ago.

How long ago did your vet last see Memphis? Did they feel that she was in good body condition the last time they saw her?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He was fine by the vet. We moved about a year and a half ago and started losing weight.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 18 days ago.

Could he be losing the weight as he's more active? Some will move into new environments where their activity level increases and thus weight is kept off better.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No that's not it. Got less active
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 18 days ago.

Ok. If there is less activity and a great appetite with weight loss, then the issue gets brought up as to what may be going on. I'll be honest and say that in this situation, a physical exam, some blood work and a urine evaluation are absolutely key in starting to figure out this puzzle. They allow many things to be ruled out or in. Do you have a new vet in your area that you can get her to so they can start with this work up?