Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

How do I get rid of allergies?

Customer Question

How do I get rid of allergies?
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Unfortunately there is no "cure" for allergies in people nor pets. There are certain things we can do to minimize the effects of allergies whether it be gi allergies causing vomiting/ diarrhea, respiratory causing sneezing or nasal discharge, or itch related to a contact allergy. But there is no cure just symptomatic therapy

For contact allergies (the most common):

- Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to help with the itch. This might cause mild sedation but this will subside with use
- Oatmeal-based dog shampoo daily at first with ten minute contact time to the most itchy areas then rinse thoroughly. Once the chewing begins to subside you can reduce the frequency of the baths
- Fish oil supplementation to promote a healthy skin and coat. A dose of 750 mg EPA & DHA daily and will take 2-4 weeks to have full effect
- A high quality organic diet not one that contains by products
- If necessary a thin layer of a 1% cortisone cream to the areas of irritation and chewing. Please wipe off after ten minute to minimize systemic absorption but also prevent ingesting it when licking
- A cone or e- collar that you can purchase at your local petstore to break the cycle of chewing and inflammatory reaction while the above recommendations begin to take effect

If you are able to identify the allergen with serum allergy testing then you can begin hyposensitization with either subcutaneous injections or the oral formula. This can be successful in reducing the frequency of infections but often they do not resolve completely.

Just as we can have seasonal allergies or contact allergies so can our pets and the steroid cream helps because it suppresses the immune response to the allergen at that location for a short period of time. If only we had a longterm cure my allergies in the Spring would go away as well! But unfortunately technology has not progressed to that point so we are left with trying to minimize the signs and keep ourselves and our pets as comfortable as possible.

Here is a link to allergy testing and treatment:

http://www.heska.com/Products/ALLERCEPT/ALLERCEPT.aspx

Here is a link to information on allergic dermatitis in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/allergic-dermatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I hope this information is helpful but please let me know how else I can assist you both today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to see my responses. I am online another 10 minutes before taking a break for a few hours to see patients but will return later this evening to respond if I miss you

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online another hour this evening

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!