Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Stopped eating, excessive drinking of water and couldn’t

Customer Question

stopped eating, excessive drinking of water and couldn’t stand with hind limbs. has brusing on the hind legs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Judith, can you give me a timeline for Bryg's symptoms, please? Is or were her anorexia, polydipsia (increased thirst), inability to stand on her hind legs, and bruising on her hind legs present concurrently?

Anorexia is a non specific sign of illness.

Polydipsia and urinating a higher volume of urine (polyuria) are danger signs for quite a few disorders. These include both hepatic and renal insufficiencies, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, diabetes mellitus and Cushing's disease (both will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia), pyometra (infected uterus if she's unspayed), hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level), electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus.

Inability to stand on the hind legs can represent a general weakness, pain in doing so, myelopathy (spinal cord disorder), or encephalopathy (brain disorder).

Bruising (petechiae and ecchymosis) reflects platelet, vascular, or von Willebrand factor disorder. Given that an underlying cause of disease may be associated, a complete history and physical examination are essential to help deterimine the diagnosis and treatment. It's hard to imagine that such a constellation of signs would be accompanied by normal labs. I need to consider that something was missed in those labs or labs that should have been performed weren't. Can you upload a copy of Bryg's test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We brought her in tonight and She has a bit low platelets and is hemorrhaging in the whites of her eyes and has a large bruise on her hind quarter. Her X-rays came back clear no signs of bleeding or tumors.

Thank you for the additional information. Do you recall the absolute platelet number? In general, it has to be lower than 70,000 before uncontrolled bleeding arises.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
26000; they admitted her last night giving her doxy as they think this may be a tick based condition.

Thank you. Uncontrolled bleeding is sure to arise at that level. Yes, Ehrlichiosis, Anaplasmosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, and Babesiosis can all cause thrombocytopenia and doxycycline is the drug of choice. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.