Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have an almost 12 year old Akita who is an outdoor dog all

Customer Question

I have an almost 12 year old Akita who is an outdoor dog all day, therefore requiring monthly baths. We had a hot Fall in Colorado and her skin is peeling off into her fur, making me want to gag whenever I am within 10 feet of her. Finally I shaved the offensive fur off but she still has skin that smells rotted and is still flaking off. How can I help her please?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Coughing can be worrying. The Veterinarian will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: I did not write anything about coughing!
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Can you please read my question?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 17 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Seborrheic skin can smell like dirty gym socks but a rotted smell suggests necrosis (tissue death) which wouldn't be something you could manage at home. Seborrhea is a skin disorder of keratinization (keratin is a structural protein in the skin) and maturation. It's most often found secondary to chronic skin allergy and infection.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
i don't know how to upload a photo but I do now how to text or email one.

I understand. You can text or email to***@******.*** who will then forward it to me. That can take up to 24 hours, however. Alternatively, you can speak with customer service here: http://www2.justanswer.com/help and they'll help you get a photo to me.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
i'm sorry but I cannot afford the call. Smells like bad cheese, not death.

Thank you. That's a seborrheic smell. You can address it by shampooing your Akita in an antiseborrheic shampoo containing some combination of tar, sulfur, salicylic acid, benzoyl peroxide or phytosphingosine. These shampoos can be found over the counter in pet/feed stores at your dog's vet hospital or online. Shampooing twice weekly at first and then as need be will be helpful. Ideally, a vet should determine the underlying skin disorder that has caused your dog's seborrhea and then treat accordingly. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
She has had skin problems before and sounds the same but never this widespread or horrid smelling. Thank you for your quick answer!

You're quite welcome. Yes, seborrhea arises more often in chronically affected skin. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.