Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He tried for over 7 minutes to have a bowel movement. His

Customer Question

He tried for over 7 minutes to have a bowel movement. His stomach is quivering and is very bloated.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bruiser, age 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruiser?
Customer: He had this same issue in September and was taken to an emergency vet center. He was treated for a possible spine disc problem.
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 18 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was he able to pass anything?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 18 days ago.

Hi again,

As I do need to be away shortly to see my own patients and have not heard back from you I do want to leave my thoughts about poor Bruiser. Now if he has a history of spinal issues and since we do have bloating, we need to be very careful here. In fact, with both being emergency signs, we’d be best to have him seen as soon as you can do so.

That said, if there is any delay in doing so (provided he has no pain and has pink gums), we can try to get things moving through that gut. To do so,we can start with cow’s milk since it can be beneficial for increasing gut movement and getting stool passed. Alternatively, OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can also help as it works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Or since his straining is quite severe, we could also administer a few millilitres of Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. If he is eating, these can be mixed into his food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration (since that would cause problems we'd best avoid). These will all help move hard feces and not fully caught foreign bodies and can hopefully reduce some of his discomfort. But again if he is painful, has pale gums, non-productive retching or is showing signs as he was with spinal concerns, we’d still want to have him seen as soon as we are able. Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )