Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

What happens if my 50#basset hound ate one of my

Customer Question

what happens if my 50#basset hound ate one of my pills/Tamsulosin .-0.4mg capsules + how long do I have to wait before I know he's ok . He is 5yrs old.
JA: Our average wait time is under 20 minutes. Sometimes it takes just a minute. More complicated questions that need more research might take an hour or two. I'd be happy to chat with you while you wait. The stories I've heard working here... I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the hound will be able to digest that. What is the hound's name?
Customer: Louie: he ate grass about 1hr. ago
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Louie?
Customer: No other problems & this is just a "if" problem.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This would be a low dose rate for your dog and it is unlikely that it will affect him if given on a one time basis.

2. Your dog weighs 22.72 kg { 50 pounds } so if he swallowed one 0.4 mg capsule his dose would be equivalent to 0.018 mg / KG.

3. The data sheet for Flomax says : " In a three month study in dogs, all animals survived at daily oral doses of 2, 20, 200 mg/kg. Signs of toxicity included relaxed nictitating membranes, miosis, excessive salivation, lethargy, redness of eyes, excessive lacrimation, tremors, ataxia, lethargy and vomiting. "

4. If a dog of your one's size did swallow a 0.4 mg capsule then it is likely that no special measures would be be needed other than just keeping an eye on him because the chances are he would be unaffected. However in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Louie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Tamsulosin ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?