Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Thankyou, we have a 13 yr old English Staffy ,she has a

Customer Question

Thankyou , we have a 13 yr old English Staffy ,she has a terrible itch , gets it evry summer . I would like to know what dosage of Prednisolone we should give her she is 17 kg approx . We found out 3 weeks ago she has a mass on her right kidney ,so to keep her comfy for how long she has she's on 50mg twice a day of Tramadol , It's all about her comfort until it's her time. She is really very good at themoment except for this terrible itch & she's very red.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: it's not fleas it's like hay fever , allergy , she has had prednill before but has been a while this happens every summer.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No she's been a very healthy dog , she only has the kidney mass as I said that's been 4 2-3 weeks . other than that she's been very good.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 13 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you tell me if any antihistamines have been used on her in the past? If so, which ones?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
in fact she had some this morning , but they are not working. They are a pharmacy brand called Loratadine , she has also had Phernergan in the past.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No thats ok ,I would like to know the dose for Prednislone for her she's 17kg approx. She has had Prednis. before & I can't remember what the dose was .

​Have you tried Zyrtec/Cetirizine? This is one of the most effective for larger breed dogs and my personal favorite for bully breeds.

I want to caution you against using steroids when a mass is present in the body. This can be useful, in some cases, but it can also reduce the immune system to the point that the mass can do as it likes without the immune system fighting back. Often in cases of masses or known cancers, this means that the body feels well in cases of metastatic cancer we can see that it spreads very quickly. We do try to avoid steroid usage in dogs for this reason, unless we are simply trying to give the dogs time to enjoy life while they are still feeling well.

Dosing info for the antihistamines: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/