Carole Cocagne
Carole Cocagne, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian at Swartz Creek Veterinary Hospital
96736229

She has suddenly began to seem weak in her back legs, she

Customer Question

She has suddenly began to seem weak in her back legs, she has lost her balance and tipped over many times today.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yes I have. she does chew on her feet a lot, but there's no injury. She's done that for years and it's never bothered her.
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is***** an 11 year old yellow lab.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Libby?
Customer: She has a lump on her side, it is fairly large. She's been to the vet a few times and he tested it and said it's a fatty deposit. I thought maybe that could be throwing off her balance but it just started today and she's had that for probably 4 years now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Carole Cocagne replied 3 months ago.

Hi I'm Dr. Carole and I'm sorry to hear about Libby. From the information you provided I would say she most likely is suffering from Idiopathic Vestibular disease. It is very common in older dogs and it is a condition that affects the balance center in the inner ear or brain. The condition can come on suddenly and usually lasts for 7-10 days then goes away on its own usually without treatment. Sometimes it can make the dog nauseous and then she might not eat but you can give her something called Meclizine which helps with the nausea. Some dogs will develop a head tilt associated with this problem that may not completely go away when they get better.

The only thing that you should have her checked for is a middle or inner ear infection that can also cause this problem and that would need to be treated with ear drops and oral antibiotics and sometimes steroids.

The tumor is unlikely to be causing any problems like this.

I hope this helps. If I can be of any more assistance please let me know. If you are pleased with my response please rate me as it is the only way I receive credit for my response. Thank you and good luck

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you so much! I can go to sleep tonight and not worry. I was worried it was a brain issue. Thank you again!

Your very welcome, glad to help. In order to close out the question could you please hit the rating button on your screen. Thank you so much