Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Dog consistently licks after eating, has a hard time

Customer Question

Dog consistently licks after eating, has a hard time swallowing down food, and consistently licks his lips. Please advise? I have given him anti acids does not seem to be making a difference... He only licks after he eats, but he does swallow and gulp often, everyday.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 14 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I need to ask some questions to best help. How old is this guy? What is his name? How old is he? What breed is he?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
He is 3, a shitzu/ poodle mix. His name is***** eats stella and chewys freeze dried raw with some limited ingredient small breed Merrick kibbles. He licks his stuffed animals at night after eating and he swallows and gulps frequently during the day. He seems distressed at night after eating. In the morning when he wakes up he is licking his lips, and salivating. Sometimes he spits out his food and eats it again, and sometimes he has a hard time swallowing.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 14 days ago.

Interesting. Do you feel that he's ever vomiting? Is he drinking normally? Has your vet ever seen him for this or seen these events?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
he doesnt vomit his food up. he eats it. But he did have pancreatitis a month ago because he was given fatty foods. Yes, the vet has seen him and gave me anti acids to give him 4 times a day. I believe this is something more serious than acid reflux. I think it is gastric reflux. Please advise on what you think it is and how you think he should be treated.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 14 days ago.

Did your vet see the specific event(s)? The reason I ask this is that being able to see what he's doing may be very critical here in determining what is going on. The best thing that I can recommend is videoing a few of these events so you can take that specifically to your vet for them to view it. Could he be doing this as he's not chewing things as well as he should or having things caught in his teeth that he's trying to get out? Could there be a primary dental issue? This could still be an acid reflux situation and maybe a different medication for it may be tried to see if it helps. Some may respond better to another medication to help with it. Could there be a motility issue with his esophagus? This is something that may be pursued with some x-rays to look at his chest and the area of the esophagus.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
no my vet hasnt seen this in in person. This only happens when after he eats or in the morning. If there was to be a motility issue with his esophagus what would be the treatment for that? He had xrays done at the hospital during his pancreatitis. They did not find anything strange going on. what other medications could i give him?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 14 days ago.

Getting some good videos of this would be again the best thing to do. If it is happening that regularly at that time, then you can be ready to capture that for them to see it. This is something that will help them to make the next recommendation. That is good that the previous x-rays didn't show anything, but they may have been more of his abdomen and not his chest.