Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

One yr old Australian shepherd mix, suddenly has very droopy

Customer Question

One yr old Australian shepherd mix, suddenly has very droopy eyes, a little lethargic and his eyes almost seem to roll back to some degree.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Bear
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bear?
Customer: he is usually MUCH more active and almost seems like he can't see very well
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he doesn't seem to want to open his eyes and his nose is a little warn
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Bear. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. How long has he been acting this way?

2. Can you take his temperature?

3. Is there a discharge from his eyes?

4. Is he constantly squinting with both of them?

Thanks, Deb

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
about 24 hrs
no
a little bit
yes
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the answers to my questions. Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

If only one eye was involved, then it's possible that he might have scratched or injured the cornea in some way. While I suppose it's possible that he's injured both eyes, it seems less likely.

It sounds as if he may have uveitis ( http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/eyes/c_dg_anterior_uveitis) which is inflammation in the structures of the eye. This condition can be painful which is why the patient squints or prefers to keep their eyes closed. They also tend to be worse in bright light.

The possible underlying cause for this condition is quite varied and can range from viral/bacterial infections to metabolic issues to trauma to glaucoma although the largest percentage of them appear to be Idiopathic...which means we can't find an underlying explanation for the condition.

Most patients will respond to topical anti-inflammatory medication and those which provide pain relief; unfortunately, these drugs would have to be dispensed by a vet.

The prognosis for most patients is good although there can be complications if the condition isn't diagnosed properly or quickly. Therefore, if at all possible, I'd encourage you to have him seen, if you can.

If not (for whatever reason), and he's not vomiting nor currently taking nsaid or steroid medication, then Aspirin may help to provide some relief although it's not likely to provide 100% relief. The dose would be 10 mgs per pound of body weight twice daily, with food to avoid stomach upset.

Just advise your vet that you gave him this medication so that it doesn't interfere with what they might want to prescribe if he has to be seen.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Bear. How are things going with him? Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 month ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb