Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My female. roteiller is losing weight she eats but after a

Customer Question

my female. roteiller is losing weight she eats but after a few minutes she throws it up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Rotwiller
JA: OK. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the rottweiler?
Customer: She's fixed and other wise normal
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How old is she?

How long has she been showing signs?

Can she keep anything down? Any food? Any water?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She's 5 gums are nice and pink not moist or sticky no pain or discomfort in belly this is the 3rd week she drinks ok and eats ok she doesn't vomit every time she eats she has had a steak bone about two months ago no diarrhea just the opposite
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Thank you,

First, I would note that if she is vomiting quite a bit and thus has reduced food intake, that may be our culprit to her weight loss. That said, at her age, we'd also have to be wary of weight loss secondary to worms, metabolic issues, organ dysfunction, and even cancer (which can steal weight with little other signs). So, we do need to tread with care if she has been losing weight in the weeks since that bone was eaten (less likely to be our culprit at this stage). And just to note, if she isn't getting much food in then she will have less stool to pass (as opposed to constipation).

With this all in mind, the first step is to see if we can settle that vomiting for her. To do so, you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Afterwards if she is still a bit nauseous we can try feeding an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. Alternatively, if we can get her reliably taking food, we can even use calorie rich diets to get that weight back on. Examples of this would be Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. Also puppy food or Nutrical paste can be used and as all have more nutrition per bite it will just help restore her weight quicker.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this signs we are seeing. In this situation, the first step is to try to stop that vomiting. If we can and we get weight back on her, then we are happy. But if she keeps losing or keeps vomiting, those other concerns would come to the forefront and we'd want her local vet involved. They can assess her hydration, check bloods to make sure her organs are working properly, check for that bone and also rule out masses. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication, supportive care for any underlying issues, +/- antibiotics to settle her and allow us to get weight back on her before she fades away.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )