Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My ridgeback has been vomiting lantana leaves and has large

Customer Question

My ridgeback has been vomiting lantana leaves and has large wheats all over her belly raised and in the shape of ovals
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 14 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Kita. Lantana is toxic to dogs and will cause the vomiting you're seeing. Diarrhea, labored breathing, weakness, and even liver failure can also arise from the

pentacyclic triterpenoids in that plant. The wheals you're seeing, however, are due to a hypersensitivity reaction which may or may not be related to lantana ingestion. This type of reaction can also arise secondary to envenomation by flying insect or spider, vaccination, drug administration, insecticides and other chemicals, and food allergy.

An antihistamine such as over the counter diphenhydramine (Benadryl) dosed at 50 mg and repeated at 12 hour intervals if need be may be helpful but an injectable glucocorticosteroid such as prednisolone or dexamethasone given by Kita's vet will be more effective in addressing the hypersensitivity reaction. Her vet can also check Kita's liver enzymes to see if the lantana has already affected Kita's liver. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
If her liver is affected, what does that mean? Is there a therapy for that?

Yes, we would hasten excretion of the toxins by administering IV fluids and cathartics to facilitate removal by the kidneys and bowel, respectively, while supporting the liver with neutraceuticals such as SAMe and silymarin (milk thistle). We wouldn't expect permanent liver damage because the liver is remarkably regenerative. In addition, severe liver toxicity is more expected in grazing animals. Please continue our conversation if you wish.