Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 3 month Chorkie. I just woke up and she has litte

Customer Question

I have a 3 month Chorkie. I just woke up and she has litte white and yellow worms next to her. When I got her I was told she had her first. set of shots
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Had they wormed her?

How long ago was that?

Did the worms look like they were passing in stool or have mucus on them as if vomited up?

How is she otherwise?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She up am moving regularly. They may b passing threw stool this is the first time I seen them. Just happened last night. She received a wom shot when she was born
3 months ago
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that if she hasn't been wormed for 3 months, then it is no surprise to see her vomiting them up now. The reason is because young pups contract worms from mum and therefore need to be wormed every month until they are >6 months of age. Therefore, we'd not be panicked here if she is well in herself just now, but we'd absolutely want to re-worm her now and keep doing so monthly. Since she did bring up a bit of worms today, do be aware you could see more right after worming (since those brought up are dying ....and just now may be because she has a lot of worms left in her gut) but that isn't a bad thing post-worming treatment. So, we'd want to do that now to get as many out as possible and then worm monthly until she is 6 months old to ensure we get out all those worms that she got from her mum.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is there a preferred deworming and worm shot brand
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hi again,

There are a range of good quality wormers on the market. Common ones we use in practice are Panacur, Drontal, Milbemax or the topical Advantage Multi (though we'd need to also treat for tapeworms with that one). Some pet stores carry these but otherwise often you just need to pop your pup in for a quick weight check with your vet practice's nurse and they can dispense any of these as needed.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
She can have the shot while being treated with deworming
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hi again,

Yes, there is no problem with her having shots when on a wormer. In fact, we often use both at the same time with no issue.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Will she need other shots in the future besides for worms. this is my first dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hi again,

She will need monthly worming (usually oral not injectable) until she is 6 months old. After that we tend to worm every 3 months to keep them clear of parasites. Vaccination-wise, she will need that 2nd set at this stage and then boosters every year to keep her immunity up against those viruses she is being protected against.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Second set of what vaccinations?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

My apologies, I misread your initial mention as the first set of her puppy vaccines as opposed to the first full set (of 2 visits 2-4 weeks apart). If she did have both parts of the initial fully puppy vaccine set, then she won't need another until next year.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
If for instance she hasn't received her first set, will it cause more problems her if she did now, or if she has received but I give them to her again as a precaution because of uncertainty
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hi again,

If there is any doubt she had a full set of puppy vaccines (we'd hope the adoption source gave you paperwork for this), then it is much safer to redo them then leave her potentially unprotected. There is no real risk repeating them for her, but again her not being protected would leave her vulnerable to some very nasty viruses common in the environment. So, it is best repeated if you don't have proof she had a full set of puppy vaccines.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is there anything U think i should know being a first time dog owner
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

Hi again,

That is a very open ended question. If you cover the worming and vaccinations, those are the basics for dog ownership on the health side. Otherwise, I would suggest starting with the ASPCA dog guide (HERE) to get a feel for general topics of dog ownership.

Take care,

Dr. B.