Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

He has a bunch of these tiny scabs up and down his back-

Customer Question

He has a bunch of these tiny scabs up and down his back- they seem to itch here and there. He's on NexGuard and he doesn't have any hair loss
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he's almost 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Leonard?
Customer: He's been on the same meds and had the same food for over a year with no issues
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 18 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

What breed is he?

Can you please post pictures of the bumps?

When did they begin?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He's an Irish Terrier- we noticed them yesterday and he got groomed earlier this week.

I don't think there is any way to be certain what has caused these bumps. However, I can tell you that it's not uncommon for dogs to wind up with bacterial infections after grooming as many of the same supplies are used for multiple dogs including brushes, combs, clippers, bottles of shampoo, etc.

There is also the possibility that these are allergy related.

I would recommend a physical exam, however, if you wish to try at-home therapy antihistamines won't hurt and may alleviate the itching. I like Zyrtec best for dogs, but you can find others and their dosing amounts here: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800