Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I noticed my dog front upper inner lip has 2 lumps, one of

Customer Question

hi, i noticed my dog front upper inner lip has 2 lumps, one of the left and one on the right, right under his nostrils and seem to be identical on both sides, what are they?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Hippy - 12.5yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Hippy?
Customer: Hippy is also twitching his ears and shaking a bit when he starts to drink water and when hearing sounds like dried dog food hitting the stainless steel bowl, is there something wrong with is nervous system?
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 17 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you post pictures of the bumps?

When did the head shaking start and how often does it occur?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I will try to take the pic but might be difficult as he wont let me flip his lips over...
The head shake started about 6 months ago when i started to noticed he became very sensitive to noise. That's whenever i put down his stainless steel bowl he would shake, like his ears would twitch and his whole body will move back. Also when he is about to drink water, he would twitch his ears and move his body like have a slight electric shock.

Any luck?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Ya, I attached 2 pics, one on each side and u can see the pink lumps...one pic is a bit blurred but it's same as the other pic...they are located inner front lips right below the nose

It looks like only one of them attached. I cannot tell exactly what you are seeing. This swelling may be due to an insect sting, could be a papilloma, may also be a benign oral mass, etc. The behavior that you're seeing while he is drinking and eating may be due to sensitivity in the mouth. If you would like to try at-home care, my suggestion would be to give Benadryl and see if these reduce in size. This will be the case if they are related to an insect sting. You can give 1-2mg of benadryl per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours. If this does not show improvement, an exam would be wise to ensure that they don't need to be biopsied and treated.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800