Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

5 1/2 month old lab 57 lbs may have I jested some zolpidem

Customer Question

5 1/2 month old lab 57 lbs may have I jested some zolpidem tartrate 10 mg tablets
What can we do
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 13 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Can you please approximate how many tablets so I can calculate the level of concern?

Zolpidem or ambien is not highly toxic to dogs. At a dose of .2 mg/kg or one mg for your dog sedation may occur. At a dose of .6mg/kg hyperactivity may occur. Dogs have been reported to ingest doses up to 21mg/kg and not die.

At 57 pounds (25.9 kg) a 0.2 mg/kg dose would be 5.2 mg and at a 0.6 mg/kg dose this would be 15.4 mg or 1 & 1/2 tablets.

If your dog ingested this within the last hour I would advise for you to induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 2 tbsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

Symptoms that can be seen if large concentrations were ingested include: 54% of dogs showed ataxia (wobbly on the feet) after large doses of zolpidem. Other signs were hyperactivity in 30%, vomiting in 21%, and lethargy in 15%

Approximate ingested dosages for the information above include doses ranging. In 85% percent of reports, clinical signs developed within 1 hour and usually resolved within 12 hours. Although central nervous system (CNS) depression is reported as a primary effect of zolpidem in humans and would also be expected in dogs, information obtained from this study indicates that some dogs may exhibit a paradoxical excitation reaction. This effect appears to vary among individual dogs. from 0.24 to 21 mg/kg

I hope this information makes sense, if this occurred in the last hour please consider inducing vomiting. If we are past the hour then please monitor for the above signs and if seen and are not resolving or escalating please consider a veterinary er in your area to treat the symptoms and stabilize your dog

I am online another 30 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 12 days ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I hope Toby is doing alright? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 days ago.
Hi Suzanne,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Toby. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman