Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog ate a 500 mg metforman pill. She weighs 38 lbs. Will

Customer Question

My dog ate a 500 mg metforman pill. She weighs 38 lbs. Will it hurt her?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 19 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

At 38 pounds (17 kg) and ingesting a 500 mg tablet this would make the ingested dose concentration 29.4 mg/kg

In small animals hypoglycemia is not commonly seen in overdoses with metformin alone, but it has a narrow margin of safety regarding GI upset. Vomiting commonly occurs with ingestions of metformin in small animals. There were 627 single agent exposures to metformin reported to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) during 2009-2013. Of the 591 dogs, 77 were symptomatic with vomiting (61%) and lethargy (18%) most commonly seen.

Please give me a few moments to research the level of concern with toxicity for your dog

According to a survey of 14 case records, animal exposures to metformin have ranged from 15.5 to 314 mg/kg. Additionally, out of the 14 metformin cases surveyed, four of the patients underwent glucose monitoring, and callbacks were requested if abnormalities were noted. In all four cases, no hypoglycemia was reported, and doses ranged from 58 to 170 mg/kg (ASPCA APCC Database: Unpublished data, 2001-2005).

So in summary you may see gi upset from this ingestion but it will not be toxic. You may choose to induce vomiting to minimize the gi upset she may experience in the next 24-48 hours if the ingestion was within the last hour or we can take certain precautions to minimize the gi upset as well

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (1 tbsp & 1 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If you elect not to induce vomiting:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days (10 mg tablet twice daily)
- Leash walks to help the medications pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tonight bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 8 hours after vomiting has subsided if she shows this symptom

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, I hope your dog is doing alright and would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!