Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 14 year old Shorthair was lazing in the sun and her head

Customer Question

My 14 year old Shorthair was lazing in the sun and her head started jerking, just a jerk every 15-30 seconds. She is always in the house now except when she needs to go out. I am quite sure she has not eaten anything wrong. She has eaten well today and had plenty of water. She even asked for milkbones while this was going on. Her tail was wagging. It seems to have subsided now. Lasted for maybe 30 minutes. Any ideas?
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 19 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry to hear your dog had this experience. The primary concern would be petite mal or minor seizures or muscle fasciculations in the neck/ head

If it does happen again then if you can videotape the incident it will help differentiate the two. For now I would advise keeping her quiet with minimal stimulation to light, sound, touch and hopefully this will allow the risk for relapse to be reduced

I would strongly advise an exam if it does recur or if she is not responsive during an episode but with tics or petite mal seizures often they do not lose consciousness nor responsiveness to you

You can try warm compresses on the neck to help reduce muscle fasciculations but only for short periods of time to reduce stimulation in any way

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 16 days ago.
Hi Jan,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman