Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 16 year old female. She has increased her

Customer Question

I have a 16 year old female ***** *****. She has increased her drinking..hardly eating. She was treated 2 weeks ago for a UTI. Today she urinated on her bed ..has never done this and appears to be leaking at times..suggestions
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Margot. I actually feel today she appears a little lost ...for lack of a better word
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Margot?
Customer: No ..she really has been a healthy dog. her liver enzymes are elevated but am not sure how high...not treating her since she is barely eating now.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 19 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry to hear Margot is having a tough time. A few questions for you:

-How long ago did you finish antibiotics

-Was any bloodwork run at the time of the urinalysis

Thank you

This unfortunately can be quite common in senior spayed dogs

First, even though she is not showing any recurrent signs it would be advised to collect a first morning sample and rule out a relapse of a urinary tract infection. Some dogs will not show any other signs besides leaking and with one previously diagnosed this is high on my list, often antibiotics weren't continued long enough to resolve it completely or the antibiotics were not effective to treat the infection

For more information on urinary incontinence in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/urinary-incontinence-in-dogs

Once a uti is ruled out there are two medication options to treat this problem

1.) Proin which is given once to twice daily. I always take a baseline blood pressure to ensure there is no issue before starting this medication because it can exacerbate hypertension if undiagnosed

2.) Estrogen which is compounded and given 2-3 times weekly longterm. The primary side effect can be bone marrow suppression so it is advised to check a cbc prior to starting this medication and about one month in to ensure it has not effected the bone marrow production of red and white cells

Both are very effective and every veterinarian has a preference. I prefer proin but personally my dog got loose stool on it so she is on an estrogen supplement. Both of these are shown to strengthen the urinary bladder sphincter so that when relaxed female dogs do not urinate

If bloodwork was not run then I would highly advise it to rule out any kidney changes as well. I have had several dogs with kidney disease that begin to leak and are higher risk for a urinary tract infection as well. One of my closest friends' dogs is one of those cases this past month.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with in trying to control her urination issues

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!