Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had diarriah so we fed him rice and hanburger meat

Customer Question

my dog had diarriah so we fed him rice and hanburger meat which solves the problem but then he won't eat his dry dog food
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 15 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been on the rice/hamburger diet?

How long have you been trying to get him back onto his normal food?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
3 or 4 days on the special diet, just started back on his dry dog food
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 15 days ago.

Thank you,

Now I do have to note that this isn't uncommon in dogs that find their light diet very palatable. Often weaning them back is a battle of wills. Therefore, we don't want a quick change (that can actually trigger diarrhea relapse too) and instead need to slowly wean him back onto dog food over a period of a week or so. To do so, you will want to offer a mix (ie 25% kibble/75% light diet meal). If he tries to pick around the dry, soak it in low salt chicken broth to soften it and allow you to mix it. If he is fussy, then we need to use tough love and give him time to overcome stubbornness. Sometimes this means letting that sit all day for him to get hungry enough to compromise. Once he is taking that fine, we can increase the dry food and keep reducing the other. Again it is a case of tough love but most dogs will bend and eat their food as long as their owner doesn't give in to their being stubborn.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )