Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She has a little running on one eye, Nona and she is 8and a

Customer Question

she has a little running on one eye
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nona and she is 8and a half
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Nona?
Customer: Shd has good appetite only thing lately she has hot spots
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 14 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been showing signs?

What color is the eye discharge?

Any squinting, rubbing or soreness?

Does the eye ball look enlarged or hazy/cloudy?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It is a little yellow or was that way , two nights ago she was on my lap and was sleepy one eye was open this was closed and would open only if i talked to her . I removed a little dry stuff on the side this morning when I was grooming her
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 14 days ago.

Thank you,

Now hopefully the eyeball is normal since you didn't mention any of those trauma signs I asked after. In that case, if Nona has yellow discharge from this one eye and a bit of discomfort (the reason they hold their eyes closed as you noted), then we'd be most concerned about a bacterial conjunctivitis. Of course, we cannot exclude something being caught in the eye under the eyelid or possible corneal ulceration.

In this case, since eyes are so delicate, we do need to tread with care. Since her signs sound mild, you can try flushing the eye with eye-safe saline (ie first aid eye wash, plain contact lens solution) to flush out any secondary bacteria and keep infection away as this heals and settled. Of course, you need to closely monitor that eye. If it settles, then we are happy. If not or more worryingly if it worsens, then she should be seen by her vet.

The reason we don't want to leave this lingering if it doesn't settle is because if there has been trauma to the eye, we don’t want to let this be left unaddressed. And if we do need that checked, her vet will be able to stain the eye with fluorescein (a yellow UV reactive stain that binds to the under layers of the cornea) to see if there has been damage to this eye and to what extent. Once your vet can appreciate the state of affairs for Nona's eye, they will be able to provide you with the appropriate treatment (topical antibiotic, pain relief if she is very sore) and help her eye recover from this situation without lasting damage.

So, this would be our concern with what you are seeing in this eye. Since her signs are mild you can monitor and flush the eye, though if she isn't settled within a few days or there are any progression of signs, then we'd want this checked and stained to assess the extent of the corneal issues and get this settled for her .

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.