Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

14 year old GSP male, he has a distended abdomen, pale gums,

Customer Question

14 year old GSP male, he has a distended abdomen, pale gums, cannot stand, eyes are runny. very weak.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: German Shorthair Pointer
JA: OK. What is the pointer's name?
Customer: Wilson
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Wilson?
Customer: He was diagnosed with Cushings Syndrome last year
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 13 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Oh dear, I am very worried about Wilson.

Distension of the abdomen with pale gums raises real worries of an abdominal bleed (ie splenic hematoma or tumor rupture) or possible gut twist. As well, pale gums can be a sign of internal bleeding, anemia, or bone marrow issues; though those last 2 usually won't distend the belly. In any case, I am very concerned that your lad is in an emergency situation and would implore you to get him to your local vet or ER vet right away to get to the root of this and give him a chance to overcome what sounds like a dire situation.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or https://www.veccs.org/facility-directory/

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )