Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

She is 14yrs and 9 months and has arthritis in her hips,

Customer Question

She is 14yrs and 9 months and has arthritis in her hips, yesterday she collapsed and can now only hobble outside to do her business, was just looking up Adequan to see if that might stop her being in pain.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Susie
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Susie?
Customer: Don't think so she is deaf, and not sure if her heart is brill but it was quite regular when I took her to the vets on Thurs.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 16 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What treatments has she been on thus far?

Did her vet start anything on Thursday?

Any other known health issues?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She has had previcox and metacam before but both make her sick. on thurs she had a really high temp and had been sick so he gave her antibiotics and anti inflammatory injections.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 16 days ago.

Thank you,

If she has had issues with those non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, then Adequan would be a good injectable option to use for her arthritis. Though if she is quite sore, you could also have her vet start a combination pain relief options (ie Tramadol, Buprenorphine) alongside to keep Susie comfortable.

As well, I'd note that she may benefit from also being started on OTC joint supports. For example, glucosamine/chondroitin helpful for dogs in these situations. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and examples of ones we typically use for dogs include Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in dogs with mild signs and would be worth using along with those other treatments for her. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.

Further to this, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for him, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for Susie along with the Adequan and additional pain relief.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 14 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.