Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

I have a 16 year old rottie, he has no balance, stumbles

Customer Question

I have a 16 year old rottie, he has no balance, stumbles when he walks and keeps tilting his head. he shows no sign of pain and we are just laying together on the floor, he seem conformable.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Owen,
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Owen?
Customer: we were walking anywhere from 2 to 4 miles a day as of yesterday,
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan. Currently I'm reviewing your quesiton, and will be back to you in a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your poor rottie!.

When any animal tilts their head and walks in circles this means that there is a problem with his balance nerve. The two main causes of this are an inidentifiable irritation to the balance nerve or an infection in the inner ear (deep in the skull, nothing to see on the outside). What happens is that this nerve is irritated and that instantly makes him feel dizzy (vertigo in humans). This dizziness causes his whole world to spin and he tries to compensate for the spinning by tilting his head. Since he is constantly dizzy this causes nausea which is why he may not eat as well while this is going on. This dizziness is also why he stumbles when he walks. The best thing to do right now is bring his food water and bed to his favorite place so he doesn't have to walk much. The other thing to do is give him bonine or dramamine human motion sickness medication). Give him one twice daily which will help his nausea and dizziness. If this problem is still happening on Mon then it's time to see the vet.

I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating.

Dr. Dan