Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dog, she is approx. 7 years old, has eaten the top or stump

Customer Question

bull dog, she is approx. 7 years old, has eaten the top or stump of a pumpkin. not moving around to much. She everything in sight.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the bull will be able to digest that. What is the bull's name?
Customer: Lucille she is a rescue from a puppy mill about 4 years ago. real sweetie
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Lucille?
Customer: she is going blind has a good appetite as a rule.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lucille. Please tell me how long ago she ingested the pumpkin stem. Our hope has to be that she macerated it to the extent that it could pass unaided through her gastrointestinal tract. Very little of it will be digested.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
mid afternoon today.

Thank you. There are a couple of ways to move forward at this time...

1) You can be proactive and have her gastrointestinal tract X-rayed to see how much stem is present, it's shape, and where it's located. This would give a vet an idea of how likely it is she could pass it through her GI tract. If it doesn't look likely it could pass, it might be able to be retrieved by snaring it through a endoscope.

2) You can "watchful wait". The symptoms of GI obstruction are persisten vomiting and/or anorexia and if these arise, she would need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

I wouldn't induce emesis at this time. We don't know if sharp points of the stem are present. Emesis could damage her GI tract. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm a student and money is very tight. I love her dearly so I'll do as I need to to keep her safe/healthy.

I understand. Please keep me posted.