Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog tore her front dew claw. It did not bleed much, but

Customer Question

My dog tore her front dew claw. It did not bleed much, but she is licking and I can tell she is in pain. It looks like I can see exposed skin above the claw, This happened yesterday morning/
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gigi 5 years. I sprayed it with Lacerum wound cleanser and put a sock on her foot and taped it in place. We just now had a chance to tal
JA: Is Gigi bleeding a lot?
Customer: We just now got a chance to take the sock off and look at it. It is raw but not bleeding. It looks like the nail is pulled off and I can see what I believe to be flesh. I'm sure you must have see this injury. I dont know what to do at this point..She doesn't seem to be in pain unless you touch it. So with it looking like I see flesh exposed above the nail what is the best course of action. Try and clip the nail or just keep it clean and wrapped with a sock for a few days. Right now the sock is off and she just keeps licking it. Could that also be a way to let her take care of it. Of course a sock would still be put on when she goes outside to keep it clean and safe. She is a collie hound mix and runs around outside like a race house.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Gigi? The veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP.
Customer: It is not bleeding. It just looks like flesh is exposed above the nail. So my question is the sane as above. Cut it, clean and put a sock on, or just leave it alone
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you get a request for a phone call, it is from the website and not myself. I wouldn't let her continue to lick it. She will only get it more infected. That fleshy part of the nail is called the "quick". In order for it to heal better, it should be cut to the base. I would not recommend doing that at home, though. It is painful and will bleed a lot. They usually need to be sedated with proper things for controlling bleeding. At this point, you can put some Neosporin on it and continue to cover it with a sock until you can get her in to your vet on Monday. They can prescribe some antibiotics and safe pain medications after clipping it back to the base. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will the nail just come off on its own? It seems to be almost off now. Is it possible if iI keep it clean and wraped? She is not showing signs of pain, and has just stopped licking and sleeping on the floor.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

The hard keratinized part will come off, but the pink, meaty part won't just fall off. It has all the blood vessels and nerve endings, so it is bothersome when exposed and can get infected easily. Clipping it back to the base helps to cut the infection risk, keeps it from being painful and bleed everywhere, prevents further damage and helps it to grow back normally. Not clipping it back increases risk of infection, bleeding, more damage, more pain and the nail not growing back correctly. Hope this helps.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
You have answered alll my questions.And the options that I asked about. Your advice too take her ti the vet makes sense the way you described the nature of the injury and having to cut the nail.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. John