Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think our 1o week old ShiChon accidentally took a .5 mg

Customer Question

I think our 1o week old ShiChon accidentally took a .5 mg Bumex. What should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long ago did he eat this?

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
About 1 hour ago. He weighs about 3 pounds. My husband is weighing him right now.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now as you will be aware this drug is a diuretic and will cause increased thirst and urination as you are seeing. And while it is one we use in dogs, he has had a ~6x overdose for his signs. Therefore, we could see this be quite severe and lead to secondary low blood pressure, dehydration and low potassium levels.

Therefore, with this in mind, we do need to tread with care. Since its just one hour since he had this, we can try to induce vomiting at home to just remove any still not absorbed. To do so, you can administer 3% hydrogen peroxide orally at a dose of 1ml per pound. (2 teaspoons per 10 pounds of body weight). You can give it via dropper, syringe, turkey baster – we just want to get it in. After giving this orally, move the abdomen around or get your wee one walking about to get things mixing. This should usually lead to vomiting. If it is unsuccessful after 10 minutes then it can be repeated twice more. And if we still have no vomiting, then you'd need to consider seeing your local vet (or ER vet) so that apomorhpine (a very strong injectable emetic) can be administered just get this out of the stomach and avoid any adverse issues.

As well or alternatively, you can also use activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Finally, after the above, we do want to try to address any potential GI upset here for the next 24-48 hours. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. Otherwise, we'd want to encourage him to take fluids and consider using an electrolyte solution (ie Pedialyte, Lectaid/Resorb from the vet). These will help keep him hydrated and counter his losses. Of course, any weakness or dehydration and we'd want his vet to start fluids to just counter these losses while this drug runs its course over the next 4-8 hours.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Pepe. How is everything going?

Dr. B.