Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

She is a 9 year old cockapoo who ate her solid food all day

Customer Question

She is a 9 year old cockapoo who ate her solid food all day yesterday and treats but couldn't seem to drink water. She lapped at the bowl and all the water stayed in there with saliva floating on top. Otherwise acting normal. Had tooth abscess and removal 2 months ago. Today she ate food and is a little less energetic. Still can't really swallow water but eating hard food easily
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Belle
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Belle?
Customer: just the history of tooth abscess otherwise healthy
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
She just ate wet food which I kept adding more water to Is it trigeminal nerve issue
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 16 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

There are two man considerations when food is moved normally within the mouth but water isn't. The muscular action of the tongue differs when a dog drinks as opposed to eats and that muscular action is dictated by cranial nerve XII - the hypoglossal. The first consideration, then, is that there is partial disruption in that cranial nerve. The second consideration is that there is a painful lesion in Belle's mouth that's more painful when drinking than when eating. Belle's vet can thoroughly examine Belle's oral cavity for trauma, ulcers, foreign bodies, and neoplasia - both benign and malignant. The vet can also watch Belle eat and drink and assess the hypoglossal nerve's health.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you very much. I appreciate your knowledge. It definitely helped. I will take her to her vet. Much thanks

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.