Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog recently ingested ibuprofen. We have taken her to the

Customer Question

My dog recently ingested ibuprofen. We have taken her to the vet and they did a 12 hour IV and catheter to flush out her kidneys. We took her back to the vet 24 hours later to check her blood levels and they were all at normal levels. However, since last night our dog has been leaking when she lies down and whining to go out about every hour. What does this mean, or what do we do next?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rizzo and she is 1 1/2 years old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Rizzo?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is the urine she is passing appear watery/dilute or darker/odorous?

Is she drinking more?

Any appetite loss, gagging, or vomiting?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Her urine is very clear and haven't noticed any strong odors. She is drinking more and she has not had any loss in appetite and hasn't vomitted since Wednesday.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Oh dear,

Since it is clear, can you tell me how long after she ingested the Ibuprofen was she treated?

Did they induce vomiting or give her activated charcoal as well as the fluids?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She ingested it on Monday night and she was treated on Wednesday afternoon. We called the dog poison hotline and they just told us to give her pepcid AC to help with the acidity to avoid ulcers.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I have to say that I am quite concerned here. If Rizzo wasn't treated until Wednesday afternoon, there was time for her to absorb the drug. The Pepcid was prudent to prevent stomach ulcers or perforation but would not have protected her kidneys. And I have to warn you that at this point (which is past the point too much IV fluid would cause this) we don't tend to see changes to the kidney levels on bloods until >75% damage has occurred. So, its quite possible that the bloods didn't detect a lower level of damage that is now causing signs or has progressed. Therefore, in this case, we'd want to monitor her, keep her taking fluids, but plan to have her seen by her local vet as soon as we can to recheck those bloods but most importantly check that her urine isn't telling us that there is a lower level of damage now causing her signs.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have taken her into the vet and they are saying everything looks normal. They are treating a potential bladder infection now with antibiotics.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the update, my dear.

That is odd timing for a bladder infection, but I am very glad to hear that there is no sign of delayed onset compromise to her kidneys.

Best wishes for her responding to the antibiotics,

Dr. B.