Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

I have an 8 week old puppy. When I was walking her, she got

Customer Question

I have an 8 week old puppy. When I was walking her , she got loose on her leash. I ran to catch her and my foot stepped on the leash. She stopped immediately, flipped all the way back, yelped loudly and ran back to the house. She is eating fine, playing, drinking, will whine but has not barked since this incident. I am worried I damaged her vocal cords.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: what
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 19 days ago.

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you today. This kind of thing happens all the time. With an injury like that it is possible to have some trauma to the structures in the neck. I doubt there will be any long term damage to the vocal cords though. Often time we will do soft food and rest for a few days after an injury like this, but it sounds as if she is eating and acting normally. The other good thing is that she is whining, so she is able to make some noise.

Sometimes, veterinarians will prescribe antiinflammatories for a few days after this type of injury, but since she seems to be doing well I suggest just monitoring her closely for any pain (evidenced by reluctance to move, helping on movement of her head) or swelling in her neck.

Please post back with any further questions!

Dr. Snow