Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 3 year old Weimaraner is obcessed with pine cones. She

Customer Question

my 3 year old Weimaraner is obcessed with pine cones. She will clamp her jaws on it extremely hard to keep us from taking it from her, she growls very seriously, & has even snapped at us when we are able to get it from her. What is it with her & pine cones ??
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 13 days ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about her situation with the pine cones. Why is she so obsessed with them? She may have a liking to the sap that is in them as far as the taste that it has. She may also just like the tenure with them as she has them in her mouth and the feeling she gets as she chews it / has it in her oral cavity. Some dogs can just find certain things that they are attracted too. For some it is sticks, others socks, and others rocks. At this point in time, I would be suspicious of the taste with the sap that can be on them that may be to her liking. If she's that obsessed with them, one thing to consider is policing the yard prior to her going out to proactively pick them up. Another consideration is to use a ladder to help prematurely harvest those that are accessible to remove them from ever being in her access.