Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My lab drinks but not super gulping it down seems almost

Customer Question

My lab drinks but not super gulping it down seems almost every other to everytime he throws it back up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No same food same pans he does demolish rope toys in seconds though could he be full of string
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Loki hes 11 months 3/4 lab 1/4 boxer
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Loki?
Customer: Hes almost 100lbs
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 15 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Loki. You're correct to suspect foreign body ingestion as the cause of such persistent vomiting in a young dog who appears to ingest rope toys (at least) to the extent that Liki does. Esophageal disorders need to be considered at well - megaesophagus (a ballooning out of the normally rigid esophagus) and esophageal achalasia (a swallowing disorder) are important considerations. My initial exam of a dog such as Loki would include imaging of his upper gastrointestinal tract by X-rays (+/- barium swallow).

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Kay thank you ill get him in right away i greatly appreciate it

You're quite welcome. I'm pleased to hear that Loki will be attended to promptly. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 13 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?