Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Maltese has had some medical problems lately for a

Customer Question

My Maltese has had some medical problems lately for a collapsed trachea but after a course of medicine of herbs, prednisone and cough syrup, he is breathing ok. this evening he does not want to lay down and has been sitting up for hours. He is not panting and is not acting anxious, but he definitely will not lay dow because when he does, he gets back up not his sitting immediately.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Yoshi 11 yrs male maltese
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about maltese?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. When a dog is unable to lay down as you've described my primary concern is that laying down - which necessarily will collapse the lungs where they contact the ground - would compromise already compromised lungs and make it difficult for my patient to breath. Yoshi's lungs may be compromised by advanced cardviovascular or pulmonary disease at this time. If Yoshi's respiratory rate exceeds 30 breaths/minute at rest or while asleep his condition is particularly serious. I understand that may not have been able to rest or sleep, however. In any event, he needs the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience. I would expect the vet to carefully auscultate (listen to) and X-ray Yoshi's chest.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.