Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

She will not get up its like she is laying down trying to

Customer Question

She will not get up its like she is laying down trying to run will not eat or drink and has no muscle function
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Sheba
JA: How old is Sheba?
Customer: 13 human years
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Sheba?
Customer: She was fine when I came home for lunch at 11 today but when I got off at 6 she was like this
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 18 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am so sorry Sheba is having such difficulties tonight. Can you please tell me her gum color?

I am sorry if you are having issues with the site. I am terribly worried there is something wrong with Sheba that requires urgent care tonight with her acute progression of symptoms with your return from work

Reasons to recommend a veterinary er include:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

The fact that she is unable to get up and has no muscle function are red flags that she is in need of urgent care. This should not wait until morning and a veterinary er should be found in your area

I hope this information makes sense, I am online another 30 minutes tonight if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thank you and best wishes to you both tonight

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 17 days ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and have been thinking of you both since you asked your question. How is Sheba? Were you able to get her to the er? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 15 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman