Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog is 16 months and is a breed called a jug. he is

Customer Question

my dog is 16 months and is a breed called a jug . he is shacking and has diarrhea which is light brown and watery.he has trouble walking with his back legs ..he is always licking his snout to .
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: yes nothing
JA: The veterinarian will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about a?
Customer: no
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 17 days ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) When did the diarrhea begin?
2) When did the difficult using his back legs begin. Does this appear to be weakness?
3) Any vomiting?
4) Any changes to his diet? new food? new treats? human food?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
1. 6am today 2.today, yes weakness 3.no vomiting,4. no changes

It's always wise to schedule an exam when you notice profound weakness in a pet.

Alternately, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to address changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. Feed in amounts similar to what your pet would eat of the regular food, but feed only the bland diet. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800