How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 26143
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 7 yr old mastiff was diagnosed with a probable pneumonia

Customer Question

My 7 yr old mastiff was diagnosed with a probable pneumonia by xray,and kidney failure. .The vet gave us little hope,but she's eating, drinking after a antibiotic injection. Should I ask to continue the amoxicillin?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Larrie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Larrie?
Customer: Everything was normal in February when we rescued her.On Mon,herBUN was161,and creatinine was 12.I'm feeding her bland foods.
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Larrie. Yes, if you're going to see a good response to a bacterial pneumonia, amoxicillin (preferably given along with enrofloxacin for better broad spectrum coverage) should be administered for a minimum of 2 weeks or at least 1 week beyond radiographic resolution of infection. Unless her BUN and creatinine can be reduced with intensive diuresis with IV fluids, I would be concerned that you're not going to have the opportunity to treat Larrie for that length of time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Related Dog Veterinary Questions