Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 7 yr old mastiff was diagnosed with a probable pneumonia

Customer Question

My 7 yr old mastiff was diagnosed with a probable pneumonia by xray,and kidney failure. .The vet gave us little hope,but she's eating, drinking after a antibiotic injection. Should I ask to continue the amoxicillin?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Larrie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Larrie?
Customer: Everything was normal in February when we rescued her.On Mon,herBUN was161,and creatinine was 12.I'm feeding her bland foods.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Larrie. Yes, if you're going to see a good response to a bacterial pneumonia, amoxicillin (preferably given along with enrofloxacin for better broad spectrum coverage) should be administered for a minimum of 2 weeks or at least 1 week beyond radiographic resolution of infection. Unless her BUN and creatinine can be reduced with intensive diuresis with IV fluids, I would be concerned that you're not going to have the opportunity to treat Larrie for that length of time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.