Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a about 5 pound chihuahua and I noticed blood coming

Customer Question

I have a about 5 pound chihuahua and I noticed blood coming from her rear in what does that mean
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the chihuahua?
Customer: When she goes #2 I see looks like blood with no vomiting
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the chihuahua eat anything unusual?
Customer: Just Purina I started her on the small dog
JA: What is the chihuahua's name and age?
Customer: Princess and 6 year old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Princess?
Customer: No
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 14 days ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she had these signs?

How much blood did you see? A spoonful, more or less?

Is her stool loose or hard?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Since yesterday, half a teaspoon, loose, pink, no discomfort tenderness or tensing, nothing on eaten
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 14 days ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that Princess has nice pink gums. a comfortable belly, and that foreign bodies aren't a concern here. With that aside, our main concerns for her signs are a bacterial or inflammatory colitis, viral infections, parasites/protozoa infections, or anal gland issues (less likely if she isn't sore with her backside).

With this all in mind, there is some supportive care we can start for Princess. To counter inflammatory colitis and help reduce her loose stools with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples of this include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. As well, you can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to these meals to bulk up her stools quicker. And a canine probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Benebac) can also help support the gut and counter mild bacterial infections. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Otherwise, if she isn’t up to date on worming, we could choose to do so as well. Ideally, we’d want to use a good quality broad spectrum wormer and could even use Panacur (OTC from her vet) as this can help with worms and some or our protozoal concerns.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with Princess. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to firm her stools and reduce the inflammation in her colon that is causing the blood. Of course, if we cannot get her settled with the above alone within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with antibiotics +/- anti-protozoals +/- anti-diarrheals (once viral and bacterial agents are ruled out) to get this settled for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.