Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My big girl has diarrhea. She has always been a sensitive

Customer Question

My big girl has diarrhea. She has always been a sensitive stomach type. Last week had an episode but went away after two days now it is a bland of very loose and firm. will be starting her back on the rice diet, this evening but wonder if anything else can be done for her
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Toots
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Toots?
Customer: No. She has always been healthy bu on the other note a very fussy eater. Sometimnes difficult to even get her to eat the rice etc
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

So, is this a relapse for Toots? Does the loose stool look the same?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Am presently at work. When I looked, last night, her gums were pink. She enjoys belly rubs, so would not say that she is tender. Unsure if she had eaten anything out of the ordinary. Always destroying her blanket. Plants are ignored. Chemicals are out of her reach. Would say this is a relapse. Loose stool appears the same. No red/blood indication at all.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
unable to call, since I am at work. but answers via internet/email is acceptable.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

That is fine to check when you are home. That aside, if we have a relapse despite supportive care with a light diet that does ring alarm bells of this being more than a benign gut upset. So, we'd be wary of possible blanket ingestion causing a partial blockage (though hopefully less likely if she has a comfortable belly) but also a possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections,or general dietary indiscretion.

With this all in mind, we will want to restart small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Other options you could also try are pasta or boiled potato in place of rice. And other protein options would include boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) if she is fussy with these options. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. Fiber (ie canned or boiled pumpkin) can be added to this to firm the stools more. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Further to this, if she is very runny and as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if this is infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, we most often use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing and I would suspect a possible underlying infectious cause for her diarrhea. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a stool sample, and make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with antibiotics to get settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.