Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 40 lb puppy may have eaten 4 25 topomax, buddy, no

Customer Question

my 40 lb puppy may have eaten 4 25 topomax
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: buddy
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about buddy?
Customer: no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 18 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. This drug Topiramate { also known as Topamax } is actually sometimes prescribed for dogs at a starting dose rate of up to 5 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight twice a day orally. This would mean a top dose of 200 mg for your 40 pound dog.

2. Buddy possibly took 100 mg in total which thankfully is well below the above dosing guidelines so the chances are your dog will not be affected and consequently there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on your dog. You may perhaps see some degree of lethargy but I would not expect worse than that.

3. You can confirm the above dose rates and read more how this drug is used in dogs via this link : LINK

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Buddy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 17 days ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Buddy is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Topomax ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 14 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?