Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

He ate cooked spaghetti squash rind and now is throwing up

Customer Question

He ate cooked spaghetti squash rind and now is throwing up and eating grass and very uncomfortable
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Marly yellow lab 7 years old. He gets into everything lol can open fridges too
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Marly?
Customer: hes in good health outside of being over weight
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 15 days ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

I am sorry to hear Marly is having gi upset tonight. Just to confirm, there is no abdominal swelling and he is not dry retching nor restless with inability to lay down?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
he will lay down for about 30 seconds then gets up, no swelling or dry retching, a bit restless

Thank you for the additional information. If there is any abdominal swelling, dry retching, or the restlessness is not resolving please consider the veterinary er tonight to rule out bloat which can be life threatening.

First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

If you are able to get him out on a walk that can help with abdominal cramping and nausea. Hopefully this will allow him to be able to rest more comfortably tonight

If there is no improvement then please consider having your dog seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They can give injectable medications to bypass the intestinal tract and hopefully get the nausea under control

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one tablespoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting Marly comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad you were able to view my plan of action. I am online another 30 minutes if I can be of any further assistance tonight

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Marly to see if he is more comfortable? I would love an update when you are able...

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!