Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 12 pound Pomeranian ate iron last night. Not sure how

Customer Question

My 12 pound Pomeranian ate iron last night. Not sure how many tabs. Had runny poop in the morning and his been fine ever since. Please advise
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Barbie and 2 years old
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Barbie?
Customer: Nope that's about it
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 20 days ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Although ingested iron can be toxic when ingested in excess, a one-time over-dose isn't expected to cause any more than constipation or, conversely, diarrhea. I wouldn't expect any further problems in Barbie. There's no reason to treat in any manner and her diet should remain the same. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you. Her poop is really dark. Like almost black.

You're welcome. That's consistent with the color iron imparts to the stool. Please continue our conversation if you wish.