Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate a bottle of dog aspirin & some allergy medicine

Customer Question

Hi! My dog ate a bottle of dog aspirin & some allergy medicine on Saturday. (I didn't know for a couple days until I found the bottles behind the couch in the basement) Since then, he is puking black liquid up after he eats. Usually after we've gone to bed. Is there anything I can do to help him. I honestly do not have the money to take him to the vet or I would. I did make him some chicken & rice and have been feeding that to him every day.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buddy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Buddy?
Customer: other than this episode, he's a healthy dog. he's a lab/shepard mix 3 years old.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How much does Buddy?

2- How many pills were in the bottle of aspirin?

3- How many milligrams was the aspirin?

4- What is the name of the allergy medication?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
He weighs about 70 lbs.I have no idea. How many pills he ateI don't know the mg because he chewed the bottle and label.It was Claritin I believe.
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
He was home with my other dog and my son. He just thought they chewed paper. So we didn't realize until Tuesday morning what happened. Other than the puking at night he is acting normal
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

I am sorry that you are having this problem with your dog. In response to your question, the black color vomit is digested blood likely a consequence of the aspirin. I really do understand your financial limitations, I am going to make some recommendations that you can try. But, I would also highly recommend looking into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost for a hands-on examination. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 20mg every 12 hours for the next 7-10 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 4-6 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 4-6 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep him on this for the next week then wean into regular diet.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 19 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter