Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We have a 6 mo old Yorkie/ Chihuahua who has been coughing

Customer Question

We have a 6 mo old Yorkie/ Chihuahua who has been coughing and retching since yesterday afternoon. He is otherwise normal, eating, drinking, friendly.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Just wondering if this is an emergency or if we can take him to the vet later today.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he gagging/hacking like if something was stuck in his throat?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi - I only see one question but yes it does seem like it might be something stuck in his throat. He is not gagging all the time, but every few minutes. He is also swallowing frequently. We have looked and can't see anything in his throat. He eagerly eats small treats (really just pieces of our older dog's kibble) if we give them to him, so he is able to swallow normally. His demeanor and energy level are normal.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 21 days ago.

I am sorry that you are having this problem with your dog. The hacking/retching you are describing is consistent with an upper respiratory infection. Basically, he has a dog cold. The forceful hacking/gagging is secondary to the inflammation in the upper airway and often will lead to vomiting. This can be caused by viruses or bacteria. This is not an emergency, but, I would have him checked by your family veterinarian, he may need oral antibiotics. In the meantime, you can start him on Robitussin DM (cough) 1/4 teaspoon every 6 hours. You can buy Robitussin DM (cough) over the counter in any pharmacy. Do Not buy sugar-free.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 19 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dexter. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter