Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My little 3.5 lbs chihuahua just at a few macadamia. Maybe 3

Customer Question

My little 3.5 lbs chihuahua just at a few macadamia nuts. Maybe 3 or 4 whole nuts. No chocolate
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the chihuahua?
Customer: Nothing yet. I just read that they are poison for dogs and I'm not sure what I should do. Is this urgent does she need to throw up should I just observe her?
JA: Did you see what the chihuahua ate?
Customer: Yes macadamia nuts.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the chihuahua?
Customer: No
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 22 days ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank you!!

Hello again

I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below.

1. Macadamia nuts are in fact a well documented toxin in dogs, as you have a smaller dog you have to act fast. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the nuts that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers this toxin in more depth : LINK

3. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
She is just 3.5 lbs so I'm not sure the correct dosage or safest way to induce vomiting. Is it urgent I do that?

She is small I know, but macadamia nuts are a significant toxin and there is a high probability this will affect your dog if you do nothing, so you have to act.

If you follow the direction on the link I sent then you may be able to handle the situation yourself by inducing vomiting, the hydrogen peroxide method is very safe and just under 1/2 a teaspoon would be OK for your weight of dog. Here is the link again. : LINK

Alternatively you should take your dog to an ER vet without delay, they will be able to induce vomiting very easily.

Regards,

Dr Scott