jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My female (spayed) chocolate lab started peeing blood out of

Customer Question

My female (spayed) chocolate lab started peeing blood out of nowhere. She is 2 years old and has NEVER had a problem peeing.
About 2 hours ago, she tried to jump on our bed and kinda hit herself in the belly, but I didn't think much of it. Then she started peeing blood, and has done it inside of the house twice since. She never pees inside of the house to begin with.
What could it be? What should I do?
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 20 days ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It sounds like she bruised her kidneys causing a little bleeding. Blunt force trauma such as when a dog has been hit by a car can cause a dog to have urine with blood in it. If she is otherwise acting fine, it may resolve itself in a day or two if due to hit in the abdomen.

However, blood in the urine can be from a number of causes and may be unrelated to the jump. Blood in the urine can be due to a Urinary tract infection though there are other reasons for blood in the urine.. Common symptoms of a urinary tract infection are frequent urination, dribbling urine, blood in the urine, squatting frequently to urinate, strong odor to the urine, inappropriate urination and straining to urinate as well as an increase in fluid intake. I believe you need to have your Vet check your dog out so it can get medication for the problem.

It is also possible that bladder stones, or a prostate infection or a bleeding disorder may be the cause. Your Vet should check those possibilities out as well.

A dog with a UTI does not always show all the symptoms and typically displays 2 or 3. I do urge you to have your dog seen by a vet.

Blood in the urine can be caused urinary stones, Cystitis, Kidney Disease, Bladder Cancer, or Urinary Bacterial Infections.

Urinary Stones are common and found in the kidneys, bladder and urethra though usually they are in the bladder. The formation of crystals or stones in urinary tract can be caused by the following factors usually working together: mineral crystals in the urine, bacteria, diseases, some medications, excess Vitamin C, imbalance in pH of urine. Typical symptoms are straining to urinate, frequent urination of small amounts and blood in the urine. Some breeds are known to have problems with stones. These are Miniature Schnauzer, Schnauzer, Lhasa Apso, Shih Tzu, Bichon Frise, Miniature poodle, and Yorkshire terrier.

Cystitis is when your dog's bladder becomes inflamed. It is believed that infections, polyps, tumors and stones contribute to this condition, but the actual cause is unclear. Typical symptoms are straining to urinate, frequent urination, straining to urinate, difficulty urinating and blood in the urine.

Kidney Disease is a common cause of non-accidental death in dogs. It is not clear what causes kidney disease but it is believed that dehydration, blood loss, impaired heart function, tumors, infections and toxins contribute to it. Some medications for kidney disease may cause blood in the urine.

Bladder cancer occurs in middle-aged and older dogs. Bladder cancer is not as common as other causes such as Urinary tract infections, though it is not recognized early for that same reason. Typical symptoms are frequent urination, urinating small amounts, blood in the urine, and infections.

Urinary bacterial infections can occur in bladder (most common), kidneys, urethra, and prostate. They are easily treated once diagnosed. They are the major cause of the prostate disease in male dogs. The prostate becomes inhabited by bacterial and it becomes difficult to eliminate. Some other conditions such as diabetes, cancer and viral diseases affect a dog’s immune system and may contribute to this condition.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 12 days ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.