Kelly Wright
Kelly Wright,
Experience:  Cheif of Staff at Self/owner
96972201

Got home from work.....he hasn't eaten and he is walking

Customer Question

Got home from work.....he hasn't eaten and he is walking around like he's crawling with his tail between his legs His belly is very hard! Please help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rocko, he is a 4yr old Chihuahua /York is mix
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Rocko?
Customer: He is up for vaccinations.....
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Wright replied 23 days ago.

Hi this is Dr. Wright, sounds like this could be an emergency,

can you give me some more info? Could he have ingested something he shouldnt have?

The way you are describing him walking sounds like he could be having abdominal pain

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I don't have money right now....not til Friday. It looks like he hasn't eaten anything but he was given sum chicken wing bones by my mother 2 days ago n I have not seen him poop
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No, I'm sorry, it was yesterday afternoon the bones were given.....I can't think straight!
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Is there anything I can give him to help him have a bowel movement???

Oh no, is there any way you can get him to a vet hospital? You can apply for something called CareCredit that allows you to pay with no interest for 3-6-12 months for vet expenses. I really think he needs an x-ray. This could be life threatening

Chicken Wing bones are small and brittle but when the dog chews them they become sharp and can perforate the intestinal wall

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Oh my goodness.....I have a 3yr old son sleeping already....what do I do?? I work in a hospital and can take him for xrays......
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I'm so scared now.....

I’m sorry, I know this stuff happens at the worst time but your dog may be in trouble. You work in a human hospital? Is there a neighbor that can watch him? Or your mom?

What does he do if you push on his stomach, does he seem to wince or react?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I squeezed it n he just farted.

does he seem to feel better after that?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I just did it again but he turned his head as if to bite me

Ok, that’s probably not a good sign

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
What will the xray b able to show??

I wish I could be of more help but not being there and seeing him, it is hard to give you definitive answers. With the history of the bones and how he is acting if you can get someone to just come and sit with your 3 year old I think it would be a good idea. The X-ray may show the bones OR a gas pattern that would be suggestive of gastric obstruction or perforation (hole in the small intestine)

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I will take him then.....I need to make sum calls....Thank u so much!

I will be thinking of you! If you can log back in and let us know how he is please do, I don’t know how that works. Maybe they can get a message to me so you don’t have to pay. I really hope it’s nothing and all is well!

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Me too! It hurts to see him like this!! I wI'll log back on later......wish us luck!! =(

How is your puppy?????

Expert:  Kelly Wright replied 21 days ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Expert:  Kelly Wright replied 18 days ago.

I haven’t heard how things went at the vet, please update. I am praying for good news!

Dr. Kelly